How Krannert helped me study abroad

Study Abroad

Wednesday, November 28th, 2018

Even before I came to Purdue, I knew I wanted to study abroad to enhance my love for diverse cultures and experiences. I was prepared with my exact location and time preferences early on. Nonetheless, this didn’t stop me from feeling overwhelmed by the amount of preparation and time that studying abroad would take. Throughout this process, I truly believe that Krannert and its advisors helped me achieve all of the steps needed to reach my current destination, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology as an exchange student for the entire academic year.

Before leaving to study abroad, I had a fairly extensive process to go through. First, there was a large number of forms I had to fill out. With so many forms being sent here and there, it can be easy to get stressed. Fortunately, I had my Krannert advisor to help me receive course equivalency approvals smoothly, in addition to signing pass/no pass forms.

Krannert also helped me prepare for studying abroad academically. With the various introductory classes I took freshman year, I felt more than prepared to excel at HKUST. After taking accounting, economics and other courses, and getting accustomed to managing my time for the workload, I felt prepared to study at another university while traveling simultaneously. Even after being enrolled in more difficult finance and statistics classes, I did not feel a huge discrepancy between the skills of my classmates and myself.

Most importantly, being at Purdue helped me open up as an individual, especially after meeting such a diverse group of people and learning how to create deeper relationships. After mainly growing up around people like me, it was a change to arrive at Purdue and become introduced to a large international population. Thus, after arriving at Hong Kong and creating bonds with people from Switzerland, Germany, China, the United Kingdom and even from other states in the United States, I could feel my open mindset developing even further from the year I was at Purdue. In addition to my international mindset, I also gained true friends at Purdue who continuously help me, even from abroad, while we give each other advice through Facetime.

Evidently, Krannert helped me in various ways to fulfill my dream of studying in Hong Kong during my sophomore year of college. I am truly grateful for all of the help I have received and the opportunity to be on this exchange program through Purdue!

Anna Pi is sophomore studying Finance at Krannert. She is from Seattle and South Korea, and is currently studying abroad at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

Leave questions below, or email management@purdue.edu