A Krannert and Liberal Arts double major might be easier than you think

Degrees

Wednesday, December 5th, 2018

From the day I was born, my parents spoke to me in different languages. My dad would speak to me in English, and my mom in Spanish. Those were the two languages they grew up speaking at home. As I grew up thinking and speaking both languages, the benefits slowly became more noticeable. By high school, I knew I wanted Spanish to remain a lifelong priority for me, even as I pursued a business major in college.

However, that was easier said than done. While touring universities as a high school student, I quickly realized that at most universities pursuing a double major in two different colleges is nearly impossible to accomplish for those wanting to “graduate in 4”. The other option was a minor in Spanish which offered immersion in the material. A minor lacked the advanced courses which would help deepen my knowledge of the language. Major-specific courses would allow me to grow further in my understanding of literature and grammar while I achieved deeper skills enabling me to communicate easily around the world. I concluded then, the Spanish minor would have to suffice. But now I have another option.

This October, Purdue’s College of Liberal Arts unveiled a new program called Degree +. The program makes it easier for any Purdue student enrolled in a major outside of the College of Liberal Arts to also earn a Liberal Arts major. Different from a typical double major, Degree + students are only required to complete courses specific to the major. The program eliminates the Liberal Arts core classes required for those enrolled in the Liberal Arts College. It makes pursuing a second major through the College of Liberal Arts possible while still achieving “Purdue in 4”. Every Liberal Arts major from Anthropology, to Italian, to Philosophy can be pursued as a second major through the Degree + program. The combinations of majors one can create are endless!

The key opportunity of Degree + allows us to succeed with both sides of our brain. We use our right side, the creative side, by pursuing a liberal arts major, and we use our left side, the more analytical side, by pursuing our first Purdue major.

While the phrase “double-major” can seem daunting, especially when pursuing majors in two different Purdue colleges, I find the opportunities Degree + offers simply irresistible and worth the extra effort. Never has a double major been more attainable for Boilermakers interested in Liberal Arts. The timing of the program launch during my freshman year has helped me hit the ground running. I am excited to experience the double benefits and challenges during my Purdue experience while preparing for a global business career!

Kent Burkman is a freshman from Miami, Florida with a double major in General Management and Spanish and a concentration in International Business. He is a Management Ambassador and looks forward to getting more involved in Krannert.

Leave comments and questions below, or email management@purdue.edu