Feed competitive spirit through college club sports

Adjusting to college Sports

Tuesday, April 16th, 2019

You do not have to give up the dream. Ever since I could walk, sports have been an influential part of my life. Not only did I have a passion for playing sports, but it allowed me to remain active and helped me deal with my anxiety. When I was out on a soccer or lacrosse field, every worry I had washed away. Sports were a way for me to connect with my peers and develop friendships that probably would have never existed if it was not for being teammates. Enduring extreme heat, rough conditioning workouts, great wins, and hard losses made the bond between my teammates and I almost unbreakable. Once high school was coming to an end, I could not stop thinking about how my sports career was also ending and those long practice nights and the adrenalin-filled games were not going to be a part of my life anymore. I thought that not being a Division I athlete, would prevent me from getting to partake in something I loved. However, once I got to Purdue, I realized it did not have to end.

When I first came to Purdue, I made it a priority of mine to join clubs that would help with my major, professional development and networking skills, and I focused on taking leadership roles in those clubs and organizations. Yet, it felt like something was missing. I thought I would get over my love for sports and I tried telling myself that going to the gym and doing workouts would fill this void. But it didn’t. First semester of sophomore year, I decided it was time for me to look more into club sports. I went to the Women’s Club Lacrosse Team callout and tryout week and immediately knew I had made the right decision. Being out there on the field and getting to practice, even in the unbearable heat and frigid temperatures, felt perfect. I was able to meet so many other women who shared this common passion and love for the game. I really appreciated how there were only three practices a week and games every few weekends because this allowed me to still remain heavily involved in my academic clubs and focus on my schoolwork.

We not only played lacrosse together, but did bonding activities that include going to a pumpkin patch, painting, bonfires, etc. I have always been someone who has enjoyed traveling and been interested in seeing new countries and states. Being from the East Coast, I had never seen much of the Midwest, but this changed once I was on the lacrosse team. I was able to travel to other parts of the Midwest and play against women at other universities who shared this common devotion to the game. I am extremely happy with the decision I made to go to the tryouts and see if a club sport was the right fit for me. I was able to meet a phenomenal group of girls and get to do the one thing that makes me truly happy, play the game of lacrosse that I have always known and loved. Nevertheless, still be given the opportunity to explore other clubs and my academics.

Alex Kuper is a junior at Krannert majoring in Industrial Management. She is from Philadelphia, PA.

Leave comments below, or email management@purdue.edu

,