Data analytics career from Purdue business degree

Graduation Internships Jobs

Friday, May 3rd, 2019

“I’m working in data analytics when I graduate,” I tell anyone who asks. Data analytics. That is something I never thought I would say…

When I tell someone I go to Purdue, half of the time they ask me if I’m studying engineering. Every time they ask, I proudly answer, “No, I’m in the business school!” Purdue’s name has certainly benefited from our top-notch engineering, math, and science programs. Krannert has benefited as well with strong data analytics offerings. This scared me at first – I never liked math, working with numbers, or big data. As my years in Krannert progressed, however, that began to change. I would not be headed into a job I am so excited for had I not been at Krannert.

As I started taking upper division classes, I became more familiar with the field of data analytics. I began to take more steps on my own to explore this further – talking to upperclassmen who had worked in the field, going to market research company presentations, and searching the minds of professors who have worked in the field. I also began to take more classes that are analytics focused, and I found that I enjoyed them more than other classes I was taking.

After looking at all of my options for a future career, I decided that analytics and research was something that I wanted to pursue – or at least to try it out in an internship. I had the opportunity to work for The NPD Group last summer doing data analytics on the entertainment team. One week into the job, I knew it was my passion and that I found my calling. I am very excited I will start my career working for a company that fosters my love for data and teaches me new things every day; and I would have never found this passion without Krannert.

Haley Toumaian is a senior studying Marketing and Management with a minor in Psychology. She is a Management Ambassadors and is completing the Entrepreneurship Certificate. After graduation, she will work in marketing analytics at the NPD Group in Los Angeles.

Leave comments and questions below, or email management@purdue.edu